At the end of June, 21 teenagers under the age of 20 died mysteriously in a secret bar in East London, South Africa. The preliminary results of the post-mortem examination of the deceased were published in the local press.
Intoxicated or poisoned? The question remains unanswered since it was discovered on Sunday, June 26, in an informal nightclub in South Africa’s East London township. Lifeless bodies of 21 youths.
Less than a month after the tragedy that shook the entire country, the investigation is progressing and a clue is emerging. Carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be responsible for the tragic deaths of these 21 youths from the Enopeni restaurant. Message 24.
Shooting in South Africa: 18 people killed in two bars tonight
The portable gasoline generator was invented
A source tells the news site that the children, aged between 13 and 17, may have been killed by toxic fumes from a small gasoline generator allegedly used inside the restaurant. Preliminary autopsy results reportedly found traces of carbon monoxide.
However, the final results of the post-mortem are yet to be announced. But the Eastern Cape health department said it had followed up 16 survivors of the tragedy for chest tightness, vomiting, back pain and headaches, which are among the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Problem drinking among youth
Questions have also been raised about the possibility of such young children being in a bar in the middle of the night. The case highlights the frequent problem of young people in South Africa drinking alcohol (sometimes adulterated) clandestinely in pubs. Many parents who killed their children in this tragedy are also asking for answers in this matter.
Most of the victims’ parents said they did not know their children were partying. Some teens have told them they sleep with friends or relatives.
“Alcohol enthusiast. Twitter ninja. Tv lover. Falls down a lot. Hipster-friendly coffee geek.”