Google Play system updates in May for Android phones add self-sharing to nearby device sharing, redesign the Google Help app, and more.
Every month, Google updates the latest updates for what it calls the “Google system” for Android. This includes everything from Google Play Services, Play Store, and Google Play System Updates from Android. Because these three basic aspects of your phone are tightly intertwined, Google brings update notes to them in one handy place, often updating and adding new notes throughout each month.
The easiest way to check if you need to update Google Play Services on your phone is to follow a direct link to the app Play Store List And update from there, if available. To update the Play Store, click on your avatar in the corner, then on “Settings”. Under the About section, you will see the Play Store Update option. Meanwhile, Google Play system updates can be found through the Settings app, under About phone > Android version > Google Play system update.
The main feature of the Google Play updates in May 2022 is the introduction of self-sharing to a nearby post. If you haven’t had the opportunity to use the nearby device sharing feature on your Android phone, it offers an AirDrop-like experience on Apple devices, and it’s also compatible with Chromebooks and Windows PC. With self-sharing, it will be easy to send files, links and texts from one of your devices to another, without having to accept the incoming sharing on the receiving device.
Meanwhile, another noteworthy feature is the redesign of the Google Help app. Since last year, Google has been steadily redesigning its apps and applets to use Material You, its latest design language, which was first introduced on the Pixel 6. A similar redesign is likely to come to Google Help, the company’s on-device support and a focused knowledge base Main.
Each month’s update also includes a variety of its own security improvements. Otherwise, many of the update notes are the same seen last monthincluding mentioning improvements to Play Pass and Play Points.
To get these features, improvements, and more on your own device, you’ll need to use Google Play Services version 22.15 and Play Store version 30.3, both of which were supposed to start rolling out from May 2. The May Android update was not announced on Google Play.
Google Play System Updates May 2022
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Bug fixes for account management and services related to system management and diagnostics.
- [Phone, Tablet] Migrate the current device setup flow of supervised work accounts to a web-based experience.
- [Auto, Phone, TV] Nearby sharing now allows users to share content more seamlessly between their devices that are signed in to the same account.
Google Play Store
- Improvements have been made to the Play-as-you-download feature to allow players to start playing mobile games while downloading the app continues to reduce wait times.
- New features to help you discover the apps and games you love.
- Improvements that allow for faster and more reliable downloads and installations.
- New features for Play Pass and Play Points.
- Improvements to Google Play Billing.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to keep your device secure.
- Various performance improvements, bug fixes, security, stability, and accessibility improvements.
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Google Help app design improvements.
- System management services updates that improve stability and performance.
- New developer features for Google and third-party app developers to support ads, location services, and related developer services in their apps.
FTC: We use affiliate links to earn income. more.
“Lifelong beer expert. General travel enthusiast. Social media buff. Zombie maven. Communicator.”