Real Madrid’s Vinicius Junior said he had been subjected to racist abuse and that La Liga “now belongs to the racists”.
The latest incident against the Brazilian star came in Real Madrid’s 1-0 loss to Valencia on Sunday, a match that had to be temporarily suspended after the striker said he was insulted by a fan behind a goal at the Mestalla.
“It wasn’t the first, second or third time,” Vinicius said on Instagram and Twitter. “Racism is normal in La Liga. The competition believes it is normal, and so does the federation, and the opponents encourage it.”
The championship that used to belong to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Cristiano [Ronaldo] And [Lionel] Messi today belongs to the racists. A beautiful nation welcomed me and I loved it, but it accepted to export to the world the image of a racist state. I’m sorry for those Spaniards who disagree, but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as the country of racists.”
“I am strong,” he said, “and I will continue all my way against the racists.” “Even if it’s far from here.”
The 22-year-old black girl has suffered racial abuse since moving to Spain five years ago.
Não foi a primeira vez, nem a segunda e nem a terceira. What racism in the Spanish league. Natural competition, Federação também e os adversários incentive. laments muito. O campeonato que já foi de Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano e Messi hoje é dos racistas. Ohma Nasao…
– Vinnie Jr. (@vinijr) May 21, 2023
The game should have been stopped
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti considered replacing the star after Vinicius said the fans at Mestalla chanted “monkey” to him. He said that at first Vinicius did not want to continue playing.
“What happened today shouldn’t happen,” said Ancelotti. “When the field yells ‘monkey’ to a player, and the coach thinks of taking him off the field because of it, that means there is something bad about this league.”
The veteran coach refused to talk about the match after what happened, saying that his team’s loss does not mean anything.
“The match should have been stopped,” said Ancelotti. “This shouldn’t have happened. It wasn’t just one person as it happened in several stadiums. Here, it was a stadium racially insulting a player. The game should have stopped. I would have said the same thing if it had been 3-0 to us. You have to stop the game.” There was no way around it.”
Ancelotti said he asked the referee to stop the match, but was told the protocol was to make an announcement to the fans first and then take further action if the problem persists.
Hoy ha sido un día triste en Mestalla, donde un grupo de aficionados ha mostrado su peor versión. Es hora de jar de hablar y actuar con contundencia. El racismo no puede tener cabida ni en el fútbol ni en la sociedad. There is no AL RACISMO EN NINGÚN website. pic.twitter.com/4eZO8uSYQA
– Carlo Ancelotti (MrAncelotti) May 21, 2023
Translation: Today was a sad day at Mestalla, with a group of fans showing off the worst version of themselves. It’s time to stop talking and act strong. Racism has no place in football or in society. No racism anywhere.
La Liga will request all available footage to investigate what happened.
“If any hate crime is identified, we will take appropriate legal action,” it said in a statement.
La Liga president Javier Tebas responded to Vinicius Junior’s comments by demanding that he be better informed about what can be done in cases of racism.
“As those who have to explain to you what it is and what LaLiga can do in cases of racism, we tried to explain it ourselves, but you did not show up on any of the agreed times that you asked yourself,” he said. on Twitter.
“Before you criticize and vilify LaLiga, inform yourself properly @Vinijr. Don’t let yourselves be manipulated, and make sure you understand each other’s competencies and the work we’ve been doing together.”
The league has filed nine formal complaints of racist abuse against Vinicius over the past two seasons. Several issues have been shelved. A Mallorca fan could end up on trial after being accused of racially insulting the Brazilian during a match.
Infantino suggests a three-step process
FIFA President Gianni Infantino also expressed his support for the Real Madrid striker
Full solidarity with Vinicius. “There is no place for racism in football or in society, and FIFA stands with all the players who find themselves in this situation,” Infantino said in a statement.
“The events during the match between Valencia and Real Madrid show that this must be the case. That is why the three-step process is present in FIFA competitions and is recommended at all levels of football.
“First, you stop the match, and you announce it. Secondly, the players leave the field and the speaker announces that if the attacks continue, the match will be suspended. The match starts again, and then thirdly, if the attacks continue, the match will stop and the three points will go to the opponent.”
Infantino added that steps to stop racism need to be supported through education.
Brazilian Lula urges ‘real action’
President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva joined a wave of Brazilian politicians, players and clubs who came out to support Vinicius and criticize racism in La Liga.
“I would like to express my solidarity with our Brazilian player, a poor lad who has made it through life and has the potential to become one of the best players in the world, certainly the best at Real Madrid, and is attacked in every stadium he plays in,” Lula told a news conference.
“I think it is important that FIFA, La Liga and leagues in other countries take real action because we cannot allow fascism and racism to take over football stadiums,” the president said.
“Total coffee junkie. Tv ninja. Unapologetic problem solver. Beer expert.”
Alec Manoa was selected to the Florida Complex League
Karim Benzema joins the Saudi Federation
Miu Kato cries during a press conference the day after his controversial disqualification