Sunday, July 21, 2024

Wendy’s sued after a woman was hospitalized for eating a burger



April 1, 2023 | 3:21 a.m

A customer of Wendy’s has sued the fast food chain after she was hospitalized after eating a tainted burger.

Court documents obtained by McClatchy News claim that client Jena Vogt has been plagued by long-term health problems and staggering medical bills as a result of consuming her meal, which contained a preformed toxin.

Jena Vogt ordered a medium mix cheeseburger from Wendy’s in Saint Rose, Louisiana on July 27.

The plaintiff says the burgers were contaminated due to “poor hand-washing procedures” and that the food was not washed, inspected or ensured for safety.

“Within (24) hours of eating her double cheeseburger, Mrs. Vogt became nauseous and began to experience gastrointestinal abnormalities,” the suit says.

Vogt was then diagnosed with an array of medical issues, including severe sepsis, E. coli, septic shock, cerebral hemorrhage, and acute gastrointestinal bleeding.

Jena Vogt claims that the contamination was due to poor hand washing.
The Washington Post via GTM

The client spent almost two months in hospital care, and was transferred to another hospital on August 28.

She was released on September 28 to be cared for at home.

The complaint alleges that not only did Vogt suffer physical disability and mental pain, but so did her husband, Michael.

“[He] They endured changes in their marital relationship including the loss of a union,” the complaint alleges.

The lawsuit also cites medical expenses and “past and future lost opportunity for income and loss of enjoyment of life” as damages.

See also  Twitter's CEO responsible for content safety resigns after criticism from Elon Musk

The couple is seeking more than $75,000 in damages.

FOX Business has reached out to Wendy’s for a statement, but has not heard back.

load more…

Copy the share URL