June 19, 2024

Balkan Travellers

Comprehensive up-to-date news coverage, aggregated from sources all over the world

right arrow

Constantine Hatzidakis has accused the Liverpool and Arsenal assistant referee of elbowing Andy Robertson

PGMOL is investigating after an assistant referee was accused of hitting Liverpool defender Andy Robertson during the Premier League match with Arsenal on Sunday.

Liverpool defender Robertson approached Constantine Hatzidakis as the players were leaving the pitch for half the time before Hatzidakis appeared to raise his arm towards him.

Robertson was immediately livid and appeared to claim that the linesman had elbowed him.

The Liverpool players crowded referee Paul Tierney to raise the issue before finally leaving the tunnel.

Sky Sports broadcast a replay of the event showing the incident from several angles after it was not initially shown on the normal match feed.

Robertson’s reaction was immediate as Hatzidakis kept running back towards his fellow officials before everyone involved left the field.

Sky Sports reported that Robertson was “completely apoplexed” and “stunned” as he descended the tunnel before accusing Hatzidakis of “elbowing” him in the throat.

PGMOL confirmed to the athlete They will “review” after the match.

A statement read: “PGMOL is aware of an incident involving assistant referee Constantine Hatzidakis and Liverpool defender Andrew Robertson in the first half during the Liverpool-Arsenal match at Anfield.

“We will fully review it once the match is over.”

Hatzidakis is an experienced match official and has been part of the refereeing teams for Premier League, Champions League and Europa League matches for several years.

The footage left Sky Sports analyst Gary Neville in disbelief.

“I have never seen an official raise an elbow to a player,” he said in a televised broadcast. “I think he’s going to be in a lot of trouble after this game is over.”

See also  An in-depth look at the Philadelphia Flyers' new jersey design: bringing together the past and the present

On the pitch, Liverpool fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Arsenal, while Roberto Firmino scored the equalizer after coming on as a late substitute.

(Photo: Sky Sports)