Peru’s capital — and its food capital, unquestionably — had a massive showing Tuesday at the World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards, ranking first and earning more places in the top 50 than any other city.
Four Lima restaurants made the list of the top 50: Central in first place, Maido in sixth place, lazy at No. 28 and Mayta at No. 47. Kjolle is new to the top 50 this year.
Led by Virgilio Martinez and Pia Leon, Central has been serving fine dining incorporating Peruvian ingredients and techniques for the past 15 years. Top 50 website says the restaurant “takes diners through 15 different Peruvian ecosystems, categorized by altitude – from 15 meters below the Pacific Ocean to 4,200 meters in the Andes”. Kjolle is Leon’s solo project.
Central is the first restaurant in South America to win the “Best in the World” title.
The awards — an event considered the Oscars for global fine dining — were announced Tuesday evening from the City of Arts and Sciences, a collection of futuristic spaces designed by famed architect Santiago Calatrava, in the southern Spanish city of Valencia.
The host country has done very well at this year’s awards with six entries from Spain in the top 50, including the world’s No. 2 restaurant, Disfrutar in Barcelona. Spain also claimed the third and fourth places with Difrexo in Madrid and Asador Etxibari in Atxundo in the Basque region.
Italy and France also performed well in Europe, with five restaurants in Italy and four in France in the top fifty. And in England, London gets an impressive three top-flights.
In Asia, the city to watch is Bangkok, where two restaurants appeared on the list for the first time, and both broke into the top 20: Le Du at No. 15 and Gaggan Anand at No. 17.
From the United States, two New York restaurants made it to the top 50 list. Atomix moved up to 8th place from 33rd last year, and was named Highest Climber as well as Best Restaurant in North America. Longtime favorite Le Bernardin, helmed by Chef Eric Ripert, also made the Top 50 at No. 44.
This year’s list of the 50 best restaurants features restaurants from 24 regions on five continents, with 12 restaurants making it to the list for the first time.
Restaurants are allowed to receive the first prize of the awards only once, after which they are entered into a separate “Best of the Best” program. Elite members of this group include Musk and Noma in Copenhagen, as well as Eleven Madison Park in New York, The Fat Duck near London, Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy, and Mirazur in Menton, France. Central moves to Best of the Best next year.
Spread at Peru Central Restaurant.
1. middle (Lima, Peru) – The best restaurant in South America
2. disfrotar (Barcelona, Spain) – the best restaurant in Europe
3. Diverso (Madrid Spain)
4. Asador Etxebari (Atxundo, Spain)
5. alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark)
6. Maido (Lima, Peru)
7. 84- Nada (Gardone Riviera, Italy)
8. atomics (New York City) – Highest Climber and Best Restaurant in North America
9. Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
10. new: Table by Bruno Verjus (Paris, France) – Highest New Entry
11. new: Trèsind Studio (Dubai, UAE) – The best restaurant in the Middle East and Africa
12. Casa do Porco (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
13. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
14. Odette (Singapore) – Best Restaurant in Asia and Chef Choice: Julien Royer
15. new: lo do (Bangkok, Thailand)
16. realy (Castel di Sangro, Italy)
17. new: Gajjan Anand (Bangkok, Thailand)
18. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
19. Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
20. Kiki Dacosta (Denia, Spain)
21. den (Tokyo, Japan)
22. Elcano (Gitaria, Spain)
23. new: Cole (London, England)
24. September (Paris France)
25. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
26. Schloss Schönstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
27. Fluorilage (Tokyo, Japan)
28. new: lazy (Lima, Peru)
29. burago (Santiago, Chile)
30. Frantzen (Stockholm, Sweden)
31. mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
32. Hisa Franco (Kobarid, Slovenia)
33. new: Chateau (Bogotá, Colombia)
34. Olesey (Senegalia, Italy)
35. Ikoyi (London, England)
36. new: Galore (Paris France)
37. new: Cezanne (Tokyo, Japan)
38. Clove Club (London, England)
39. Gene (Antwerp, Belgium)
40. Tim Row Restaurant (Berlin Germany)
41. Le Callander (Rubano, Italy)
42. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
43. Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
44. Lou Bernardin (New York City)
45. Nobelhart and Schmutzig (Berlin Germany)
46. new: Orfali Bros (Dubai United Arab Emirates)
47. Mayta (Lima, Peru)
48. new: La Grenouillere (La Madeleine sue Montreuil, France)
49. new: Rashid (Mexico City)
50. Chairman of Board of Directors (Hong Kong)
“Typical beer trailblazer. Hipster-friendly web buff. Certified alcohol fanatic. Internetaholic. Infuriatingly humble zombie lover.”